Now our new kitchen is all ready (joy!) we’re spending pretty much every weekend cooking for friends and family in our home. Veggie food is currently my passion as it’s so easy and flavour filled.
Quiche is one of my favourite veggie foods, but a traditional one can be a tricky cook. You have to bake the pastry right, make sure the filling isn’t too runny etc etc. So to make things easier (and lighter) I opted for a filo crust and mini size for individual portions and it couldn’t be easier to make and the mini size means you can mix and match fillings.
Ingredients (for 6 mushroom and 6 broccoli and tomato mini quiches)
250g chestnut mushrooms
1 clove garlic
Large bunch parsley
1 small onion
1 head broccoli
2 medium tomatoes
100g cheddar (to top)
Splash of milk
Salt and pepper
1 pack fill pastry
Butter (melted to brush on filo)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Chop oons and fry in a pan with a little olive oil til soft, add the minced garlic clove. Chop the mushrooms into small pieces and add to the pan. Add some very finely chopped parsley. Fry until mushrooms are nicely browned on every side and reduced.
3. While cooking the onions and mushrooms, cut the broccoli into small florets and boil briefly, it doesn’t need to be cooked fully, and drain. Chop the tomatoes into very small pieces.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, cream, milk and add salt and pepper.
5. Grease a 12 muffin tray with some melted butter.
6. Take your filo and cut into 5″x5″ pieces roughly (or whatever size will fit nicely into your muffin tray without too much overlap). Put one piece of filo into each muffin cup and fold so they line the bottom. Brush the inside and top of each with some melted butter and repeat with a second full sheet for each so the bottom of each muffin cup is covered.
7. Spoon a small amount of your chosen filling into each cup so it fills it almost to the top.
8. Pour some of the egg mixture into each cup so it’s roughly equal (don’t worry too much it comes out great even if not completely even).
9. Top each with a small amount of grated cheese.
10. Place tray in the oven for around 20 mins, or until the filo edges and golden brown and the filling is cooked through.
Eat and enjoy your veggie feast!